CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 7, 2013

Batik Painting

     I'm a perpetual avid learner. When I see something beautiful, like a piece of jewelry or artwork, my mind makes a breakdown of what materials were used and how it was made. And then I get itching to get started and make my own. I've dabbled in many things, digital scrapbooking, photography, arts and crafts and the likes, all revolving around art. 

    Sad though that I have no talent whatsoever when it comes to drawing or painting. Oh, I have tried. The first time I attended my art class, a fourth of the eraser was used up, just from trying to draw an orange. But still, this hasn't stopped me from creating artworks and even putting them up around the house. So long as it doesn't involve drawing, it can work.

     On our recent trip to Malaysia, I discovered that we could try our hand at Batik fabric painting at Kuala Lumpur Crafts Center. Seeing all the finished paintings on display made it seem such a daunting task, but exciting at the same time.  



 I chose some reptilian design to match hubby's in case they turn out to be display-worthy. The fabrics were stapled to a wooden frame and we were each given a palette of watery dye in basic colors. You basically just dip in your brush into your chosen color and dab it into the fabric. The solution was very watery so the color spread quickly on the fabric




 Hubby had the best work though. I love the burst of bright colors, especially when he finished it by painting the background yellow. 

As we waited for our work to dry and be framed, I took a walk around and stumbled on another workshop where Batik painting was also being taught, but this time on silk. I just gotta learn that too! But it had to be put off until the next day for the sake of our growling stomachs. 



 This time I had to trace the template myself onto the fabric. Then came the application of wax. This is a quite difficult to do as you have to have a steady hand while tracing over the pattern as well as control to apply just the right amount of wax. 



Hair fixed in a bun, bangs clipped back. I mean business here.  Not even being mistaken as a Malaysian actress could distract me from my work.


 I did pick up a thing from my one and only art lesson, which areas to make lighter or darker.



The dye lightened as it dried so it was necessary for a second and sometimes third layer of it.



The artist showing me which areas to add a darker green to give it more dimension.

Ta da! My finished work. Not bad for a first attempt right? 

All I was after was at least a passable artwork to put on display but now I'm dreaming of a hand painted silk dress soon. Quite ambitious for a non-artist, I know. But it has the perfect motivation for me, fashion and art. So we'll see in the future. 




9 comments:

  1. Clap clap! You may know how to draw an orange, hehehe...but there's no denying that you know how to coordinate colors. Sayang we didn't have the chance to do this when in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mana we took the Hop-On Hop Off bus. This was on their 5th stop if you start from their Tourism office. I don't know why it isn't usually mentioned in the Things-To-Do list.

      Delete
  2. now who says you don't have an art-inclination???? indeed, not bad for a beginner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vette, it's always worth a try. Who knows la balet if we have latent talents. But it's quite fun to do it. Wish I could say this was a difficult project but really it's not. Patience lang coz it takes about 2hrs to finish the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. Wow, two thumbs up mana... and your finished artwork is worthy of a place in your home. It is super nice and I like how you get to blend in the colors. It is good to try something new every now and then because we will never know where it might lead us to do in the future, hehe.. art and fashion is a pretty good combination indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist taught me how to do it. The colors are my choice and he gives his input like where to add highlights, etc. I bought his waxing tool and some of his dyes. One of these days, I'll get around to doing it.

      The artist had a client, nagpa paint on a silk cloth to be made into a dress. He was working on it when we were there and that's what got me dreaming too. hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Supah nice sands! I could only wish i have an artistry like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This isn't as difficult to do as it looks. I remember you always drew better than me back in SHS, so this would be kayang-kaya for you too.

      Delete